Sunday, July 1, 2012

Weekend Update 7/1

Hello July!!

The first day of July means that the Craftsy.com new block of the month video is up! July's theme is the Dresden plate. I am so excited to make a few of these blocks. I will post as soon as I get these finished.

This weekend I  put together my Quilting Gallery Quilt-Along blocks. I was previously a week behind so now I am all caught up. This quilt-along is really put together well. It seems like their plan is to build on skills that they have taught you the previous week. An example of this is that the week 4 block uses techniques from both week 2 and week 3 as far as cutting and piecing.


Block 3

Block 4

I was out of town for a bit last weekend and the below was my fabric haul. My sister-in-law was kind enough to get all of these goodies for me from her mother-in-law's garage sale. She said that each bag should have about 2 yards of fabric in it! There are a lot of fun fabrics in here so i am thinking that I will be making up some doll blankets for Quilts and Vines soon. Pictures to come on those :)


This weekend I also kept out of the heat by going to Freeman's Quiltfest. I was able to attend a great presentation on 'upcycling' from a gal who is not even a quilter! My husband was along with me and thought that is was really interesting as well. The show had a theme of 'First Quilt, Last Quilt'. It was really amazing to see how far people have come in their quilting choices both in fabric and in pattern. Some people seemed to stay exactly in the same color ways and others went in total opposite directions. The featured quilter there was Phyllis Schrag. She is a quilter in my guild and it was amazing to see so many of her quilts. She also brought along my favorite quilt of her's which is a wedding dress and man's dress shirt turned into a beautiful bed quilt. It is simply amazing and I want one...oh well!

In addition to Quiltfest, I started a clean-up project for my sewing studio -- before and after pictures will be here soon! 


Stay cool out there!


Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment