Thursday, June 21, 2012

MN Quilt Show 2012 Recap

A great time was had by all at the MN Quilt Show in Rochester, MN. 

My mom(L) and I got on a bus with my quilting guild at 6am and we were off to the big city. Once we arrived, the show sent someone out to our bus to hand out programs, give directions, stamp our hands and in general welcome us to the show - what a lovely idea!

Once inside the show I think that we sat down a total of 20 minutes in order to eat and other than that we were up and walking from 10am to 3:45pm. Our bus was scheduled to leave the show at 4pm but since everyone was tired and already back on the bus we were able to get out of town at 3:55pm. 

The show was held in multiple large exhibit halls and really flowed well from one to the other. My favorite part of the show, other than the shopping, was a special exhibit of the 'Cow Parade'. Due to copyright issues i do not want to post pictures of these so please visit
Mary Lou Weidman's Blog to see what all the fuss is about. These quilts are hilarious and so fun!! 

So I as said, the shopping was my other favorite part of the show so here is my haul. 


Several different cat fabrics --- of course

                         One more fat quarter for my fruits and veggies collection, some movie theater snack fat quarters                            and then a baby themed charm pack

a package of 5 1-yard cuts and 2 packages of 6 solid fat quarters

3 quilt patterns, 1 bag pattern and a wall hanging pattern with a printed fat quarter included.






The 2013 MN Quilt Guild Show is scheduled to be in Duluth, MN June 13th through June 15th. Duluth is a wonderful town so I hope that I am able to make it up there to do both some sightseeing and go to the show. 


The main thing that I saw missing from this show was seating. Many quilter's are older and would like to sit down and have a view of quilts while they are resting for a few moments. The show also should be more accessible to those using walkers or wheelchairs. I saw several people that were unable to fully get into booths because the space to get into was too narrow. I will be writing the guild letting them know how much I enjoyed the show as well as stating the few areas where they could improve. 


I am starting a new project tonight so be on the lookout this weekend for pictures! 


Happy quilting!


Angela



PS - We watched the movie 'We Bought a Zoo' on the bus ride home - how cute! It did however have me reaching for tissues more than once. I would highly recommend this for a family movie night.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post. I wish I would have gone. It is on my list of things to do next year for sure! I love your 5 1 yd cuts. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barbara! The show is definitely worth checking out. I heard a lot of people there saying that they came just for the shopping since so many stores have booths there.

      The 5 - 1 yard cuts were a great find and they also came with 4 different patterns that you could use with just 5 yards. Their booth was packed the entire time we were there and it was really hard to pick just one!

      Delete