Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Stash busting!

I completed the apron that will go with the coffee table runner that I made earlier. Once again I am using my favorite apron pattern. For those interested in the pattern the main reason that I love it is because you cut your fabric based on yardage NOT from a tissue paper template like you do with some other patterns. It makes things go together so much nicer. The only thing that you cut from a template is the cute little pocket. Using directional fabric was a challenge for me in the beginning but the pattern spells out exactly how to cut your fabric in that instance so it went really well :)


Four Corners Apron - Vanilla House
 While I was working on the apron I got a bit distracted by the mess of my fabric stash. I have looked at a lot of ideas on what to do with your scraps but I thought that the best thing for me would be to make my own jelly roll pieces(2.5 inch pieces x whatever fabric length). From there I thought I would piece them all together and have my own jelly roll race. The Missouri Star Quilt Company has an awesome YouTube video on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEJLnaZQOU&feature=plcp


Here is what I started with straight out of my stash bag...all of the fabrics here are from the first sampler quilt that I made at Heirloom Creations.
BIG MESS

All pressed and looking good.

All fabrics cut into 2.5 inches by whatever length

Completed "jelly roll" quilt top!
I had planned on using the tan/cream fabric as a backing but my quilt top is now too big! I guess I will just use it as a border for now and see how that goes. The top is currently at about 30"x48" or so. I will give an update on the exact size once I add the border but I was very surprised at how much fabric I had!


I did more stash busting with my leftover Lorax pieces. These pieces ended up being 1.5 inches I believe. I had some leftover green fabric from my Kermit bag and was able to make a liner and handles from that. Isn't it just too cute! I am loving making my own "jelly roll" pieces and actually using them.



I finished up my long weekend by making my blocks for the Sioux Falls Quilters Guild block exchange. This is the second exchange that we have done this year.The Guild encourages everyone to participate so that we get lots and lots of blocks. The Guild provides the background fabric and then quilters add in their own personality by choosing the additional fabrics. This is something that we are doing quarterly so once the quarter is up they will count out all of the blocks and give them away to lucky guild members. I think at the last drawing there were 6-8 winners and everyone got 22 blocks. That is a lot of finished blocks for only having to make two!




Last thing for today is just a picture of the fabric that I had leftover from my 5 Yard Quilt - Coffee Cats. Maybe someday these scraps can become something interesting as well! I did find that the cat fabric and the blue fabric had the largest amount left. I think that the cat fabric had so much left so that you could fussy cut your pieces if you wanted to.




Whew!! What a weekend!


Have a great week!


Angela

2 comments:

  1. wow. you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiff! I really didn't see myself as crafty before but it's amazing what you can do when you have time on your hands ;)

      Delete